5 Emergency Furnace Problems That Need To Be Fixed Before It’s Too Late
Extreme weather has affected Central Indiana homeowners, and determining if your furnace issue requires emergency service can be difficult. While minor furnace problems like a dirty filter or thermostat battery are easy DIY repairs, others require emergency service.
If you are searching online for what’s wrong with my furnace, below, we will explore the most common problems with furnaces and when to contact Northern Comfort Systems.
1. A Faulty Thermostat
If your furnace blows cold air, activate the fan, and confirm the thermostat is on auto and not cool. If the temperature gauge does not change, reset the furnace, and wait 10 minutes to power it back up.
If the connection is bad or decalibrated, have a technician recalibrate your thermostat. However, for thermostat replacements, consider upgrading to a remote or smart thermostat that lets you program your favorite room temperatures from your phone, and you can monitor your energy usage!
2. Furnace Odors
Burning or debris odors are non-emergencies and might represent dirt or dust. However, the following odors require attention.
Call for service if you smell:
- Eggs: Smelling sulfur might be a gas leak. Leave your home immediately and call the fire department from a neighbor. The gas company will shut off the gas to avoid an explosion, and our HVAC specialists can make repairs.
- Metal: An internal part might be overheating. Shut off your furnace and call us 24/7.
- Chemicals: A heat exchanger crack can give a formaldehyde smell and requires immediate attention to avoid a carbon monoxide leak.
3. Overheating System
Furnace sensors shut the furnace off to prevent overheating, but if the sensor is faulty, the furnace might overheat from debris or a dirty filter.
Because it presents a fire hazard or can cause a system malfunction, call us if it never shuts off.
4. Strange Noises
While furnaces can last 15 to 20 years with regular service, bone-chilling Indiana winters can cause added wear and tear. If your furnace makes noise, reduce your combustion, ventilation, electricity, and fuel risks by scheduling service.
Call our service technicians for these sounds:
- Popping: Frequent pops might be heat exchanger cracks that can cause CO2 leaks.
- Rumbling: When your furnace shuts off, it should become silent, but if you hear rumbling, fuel is burning, which is a fire hazard.
- Thumping: A blower wheel or loose motor are the likely culprits.
- Grinding: Bearings without enough lubricant can damage the motor.
5. No Power
Common causes include a power or thermostat problem or serious breakdown. Our NATE-certified technicians will make repairs, and if you need a replacement, they will recommend efficient systems that fit your budget and home heating needs.
Set up routine heating tune-ups to extend your furnace’s life span, improve indoor air quality, and reduce breakdown risks. Our Maintenance Plan includes 15% off repairs and priority scheduling for emergency heating service.
Why Choose Northern Comfort Systems?
Whether you have a gas, electric, or oil furnace, for emergency furnace problems, turn to the experts.
Established in 2001, Northern Comfort Systems is an award-winning residential and commercial business that provides comprehensive heating, air conditioning, and plumbing services. Specializing in all types of furnaces, heat pumps, and mini-splits, we offer affordable service, 24/7 emergency repairs, free estimates, and 5-star customer feedback.
Backed by a satisfaction guarantee, if you need furnace repair, a tune-up, or furnace installation, rely on us for premium heating services. Ask about our maintenance discounts and home improvement tax credits to maximize your savings!
With no fees for overtime and after-hours service, schedule furnace repair in Indianapolis with Northern Comfort Systems.