The 8 Most Common Furnace Problems
A well-functioning furnace becomes every homeowner’s best friend. With the plummeting temperatures, the last thing anyone wants is a furnace breakdown.
For homeowners, it can help to know what common problems furnaces face, so you can recognize the signs, get prompt repairs, and save money in the long run. Here are the eight most common furnace problems homeowners in Indiana should know.
Here are some of the most common furnace problems homeowners face:
- No heat or insufficient heat: One of the most obvious signs of a problem this could be caused by incorrect thermostat settings, power supply issues, or even a malfunctioning pilot light.
- Frequent cycling: If your furnace keeps turning on and off, it could be indicative of a clogged filter or issues with airflow.
- Blower continuously runs: When the blower doesn’t stop, it might be due to a faulty limit switch which often requires replacement.
- Noisy furnace: A furnace shouldn’t disturb your peace. Rattling might indicate unsecured ducts, humming could be from a fan motor issue, while screeching might signal a problem with the motor or belts.
- Furnace turns on and off rapidly: This often results from a dirty filter restricting airflow or a thermostat malfunction.
- Pilot light issues: A consistent blue pilot light ensures safe furnace operation. A yellow or flickering pilot light might signify the presence of contaminants or drafts.
- Thermostat malfunctions: The thermostat acts as the control center for your furnace. If it’s malfunctioning, you might experience erratic temperatures or no heating at all.
- Cracked heat exchanger: A significant issue, a cracked exchanger can release carbon monoxide. It’s essential to get it repaired immediately to ensure safety.
Understanding the common issues your furnace may face is important to ensure a warm and safe home in the colder months. If you ever face these problems, prompt professional assistance can save you time, money, and potential hazards.
Preventative Maintenance Tips
A proactive approach can save Indiana homeowners from many furnace issues and unexpected repair bills. Here are some ways to keep your furnace in tiptop condition:
- Change the furnace filters regularly to ensure clean airflow.
- Ensure the thermostat is functioning correctly and set to the desired temperatures.
- Periodically inspect for any unusual noises or behaviors from the furnace.
By following these steps, homeowners can significantly reduce the chances of running into the above-listed common furnace problems.
Furnace Repair & Northern Comfort’s Expertise
Experiencing furnace issues? We’ve got your back! Northern Comfort brings years of experience in handling all types of furnace repairs. Our NATE-certified HVAC technicians are well-trained and equipped to tackle any furnace problem, ensuring you stay warm and comfortable.
We pride ourselves on affordable, quality service with no hidden fees. Our award-winning service — recognized as a Rheem Team Top Contractor for over seven years and an eight-time Angi Super Service Award winner — stands as a testament to our commitment.
So, whether it’s a routine maintenance check, an emergency repair, or a complete furnace replacement, trust Northern Comfort to deliver top-notch service in the Indianapolis area.
Need more information or want to schedule a service? Let the experts at Northern Comfort Systems bring warmth back to your home.